Monday, May 14, 2012

DIY Tory Burch Dip-Dye Jeans

If you're just as bored as we are this summer, then you'll love the amount of DIY projects we're posting.
We can't stop making crafts!!!
Anyway, its doing wonders for both our wallets and wardrobes, so you should hop on the DIY bandwagon if you haven't already done so.


Tory Burch Dip-Dyed Denim, $195
Recreating this look is a little tricky. The ombre fade calls for some trial and error stages, but I think if you practice on some old denim first you can really get the hang of it. I'm an impatient person so I just went straight ahead and did this on a good pair of jeans... they turned out all right but I think I could've made them even more fantastic-looking. 

1. Start with a plain pair of jeans. They can be light or medium wash, but I advise against using dark wash jeans. I used a pair of H&M jeggings I bought several years ago.

2. You will need Rit Concentrated Dye (about $4 at any craft supply store). I chose purple dye but there are many other colors.

Left to right.
3. Dissolve the packet of Rit Concentrated Dye in 2 cups of hot water.
4. Make sure to stir so it dissolves completely!
5. Add the solution to a basin of about 3 gallons of hot water and stir. I used a bucket but you can also use a sink.
6. Soak the bottom 6 inches of your jeans (while stirring!) for 10 minutes in the basin. After the 10 minutes***, add in another 6 inches of fabric for 5 minutes (keep stirring!). Then do it again for another 5 minutes.
***I think this is where I messed up. Instead of just adding in more fabric I think I should have taken the jeans out and wrung out the excess dye. Because I didn't do this step, my jeans weren't sufficiently ombre.
7. Hand wash your jeans through hot water until the water runs clear,  and then with cold water. Let dry outside. (I put mine through the washer and dryer as well.)

There you go! Tory Burch style jeans minus the huge blow to your bank account. I'm definitely going to try this again to see if I can make them look more ombre.
-allia

No comments:

Post a Comment